When to see your Gynecologist?
The best decision you can make for your health and wellbeing is choosing the right gynecologist. Katy, TX, residents are fortunate to have access to one of the most skilled and compassionate OB/GYN professionals available anywhere. Dr. Taryll Jenkins has dedicated his life and career to women’s health, and his focus is strongly on preventive care.
Many women underestimate the importance of gynecological care. At every stage of life, from the first menstruation cycle of the teenage years, to menopause and beyond, women face unique health concerns. Early signs of feminine health issues are often subtle or overlooked. One of the most important reasons to see Dr. Jenkins is for your annual Well Woman checkup, including a pap smear.
Most women afflicted with cervical cancer have not had a pap smear in over five years, and they are usually in the advanced stages at the time of diagnosis. Detection in the early, or pre-cancerous stage, allows for the most effective, and least invasive treatment. This yearly appointment could save your life. Dr. Jenkins may recommend check-ups more frequently, under some circumstances such as
- You are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant
- Pre-menopause breast cancer has occurred in your family history
- You or your partner has a sexually transmitted disease
- You are undergoing treatment, or experiencing symptoms, which require monitoring
Additionally, you should see your gynecologist before your regular appointment if any of the following apply:
- You think you are pregnant
- You have potentially been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease
- You need birth control
- Bleeding or unusual discharge between periods
- Unusually heavy bleeding during menstruation
- Severe menstrual cramps, disrupting your daily routine
- Pain in the pelvic area, lower abdomen, or vagina
- Pain during intercourse
- Vaginal itching or swelling
- Changes in breast size, shape, or sensitivity
- Discharge from nipples not associated with breastfeeding
Your gynecologist should be more than just a doctor – you need a trusted friend, who will not make you feel uncomfortable discussing anything from incontinence to sexual dysfunction. Dr. Jenkins is as gentle and compassionate as he is skilled. He will treat you with respect, and protect your dignity and privacy, as well as your health.
Call or email Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Medicine and schedule an appointment with your friend and partner in lifelong health.