Understanding early signs of pregnancy helps Katy moms have healthier babies
No method of birth control is 100 percent effective, and fertilization can occur with just one intimate event. Regardless of whether you are planning a family or conception happens unexpectedly, you naturally want the best for your unborn child. It is important to recognize early signs of pregnancy, to provide a healthy start. Katy ob-gyns, Dr. Jenkins and Dr. Falae, share this helpful information.
What to watch for
- Food aversions – A rapidly increasing estrogen level can trigger a gag reflex from familiar food aromas. This is often the first pregnancy indicator women notice.
- Mood swings – Hormonal changes may heighten emotions – happiness or anxiety – early in the pregnancy, and throughout.
- Abdominal bloating – Jeans may feel snugger at the waist, even though your uterus is still normal size.
- Frequent urination – Blood volume increases during pregnancy, resulting in more urine production, sometimes misconstrued as a UTI.
- Elevated basal body temperature – A slight increase that lasts more than two weeks usually indicates pregnancy.
- Fatigue – Ranging from tiredness to exhaustion. Don’t worry – most women get their energy back in the second trimester.
- Nausea – Morning sickness can strike as early as week two after conception.
- Spotting – As a fertilized egg settles into the uterus, implantation bleeding can occur at about the time of your period.
- Tender breasts – Soaring hormones leave breasts swollen and sensitive.
- Missed period – If you are fairly regular, this is an important indication that you should see your gynecologist.
Some women prefer to start the journey with a home pregnancy test. Whether or not the result is positive, it is a good idea to schedule an appointment with an ob-gyn right away, if you are experiencing some of the above symptoms. Early prenatal care is essential to minimize risks to you and your baby during pregnancy. Call Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine in Katy, TX at 855 346 8610.