For seniors, incontinence can be a great concern. It can cause an older adult who is otherwise in great health to stop enjoying physical and social activities as she did before. Often the individual will begin to make lifestyle changes to avoid embarrassing situations. This may include stopping exercise, avoiding friends, not traveling, or quitting activities that put them in unfamiliar locations such as eating out and shopping. While these changes can cause a person of any age to feel isolated or depressed, it can be especially harmful to older adults, as the lack of physical activity can cause muscles to atrophy and may put physical strength and ability at risk. Furthermore, seniors often have an increased risk of falls as they often feel the need to move faster than their bodies are able in order to reach a restroom.
While many women are told that urinary incontinence is normal after childbirth or when getting older, it’s important to note that treatment is available. The first step in treating urinary incontinence is to visit a physician. Because there are several forms of incontinence and because it can be influenced by several factors including illness, infection, medications, and stress, it is critical that a physician determine if a patient has stress or urge incontinence. Urge incontinence is identified the sudden and intense need to urinate while stress incontinence occurs when a patient leaks urine while lifting heavy objects, exercising, or sneezing. Your physician will determine which form of incontinence you have by asking several questions and performing tests such as cystoscopy or urodynamic testing.
Dr. Taryll Jenkins of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Medicine can help his Katy area patients find relief from urinary incontinence. For more information about how to diagnose and treat incontinence, call Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Medicine today.
- Diagnose and Treatments Related Urology, Katy - Diagnosis and treatment for incontinence and other urology-related conditions in Katy, TX
- Causes of Urology, Cypress TX - Cypress, TX gynecologist can address causes of urology
- Urology Katy TX - Treatment Options for Bladder Control Problems with Urology in Katy, TX
- Urological Treatments in Katy TX - Understanding incontinence and urological treatments in Katy, TX
- Urology Procedure Fulshear - Urology care for Fulshear women: The bladder suspension procedure