There are several types of hysterectomies. A total hysterectomy is a procedure that removes the entire uterus and the cervix, while a subtotal, or supracervical, hysterectomy is one that leaves the cervix intact and removes only the upper portion of the uterus. A radical hysterectomy is one in which the entire uterus and tissue surrounding the uterus, along with the cervix and top part of the vagina are all removed. This type of procedure is typically only used when a patient has cancer. With all forms of hysterectomy, the ovaries may be removed or left in place, depending on the patient’s unique situation.
In addition to there being various types of hysterectomies there are also several different surgical techniques.
- Traditional hysterectomy – This type of surgical procedure has been the common approach to hysterectomies for many years. In this procedure, the surgeon removes the uterus through an abdominal incision. In most cases, the incision is horizontal and located just above the bikini line. This procedure also typically requires several days of recovery in the hospital and several weeks of healing at home.
- A minimally invasive hysterectomy – In recent years the medical community has developed new approaches to hysterectomies that are less invasive and require less recovery time. A vaginal hysterectomy still requires an incision; however, it is done through the vagina, leaving no visible scar. A laparoscopic surgery is one that uses advanced technologies to remove the uterus though several small incisions in the belly. The surgeon essentially performs the surgery from outside the body, using a lighted camera that projects images onto a video screen.
Dr. Taryll Jenkins of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine has been performing hysterectomies for his Houston-area patients for many years. He will discuss your surgical options with you and decide on the best approach for your unique condition. For more information, call the Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine today.
- Types of Hysterectomy Katy - Katy patients consider several types of hysterectomy procedures
- Tummy Tuck Hysterectomy, Katy TX - Combining tummy tuck and hysterectomy procedures in Katy, TX
- Total Hysterectomy Fulshear - Helping Fulshear women make informed decisions: Do you need a total hysterectomy?
- Hysterectomy Tummy Tuck Houston - What Houston-area patients need to know about combining a hysterectomy with a tummy tuck
- Hysterectomy in Katy - What is a MIP Hysterectomy in Katy, TX?