Just like children need an annual checkup with their pediatrician, women also need a well-woman check up with their gynecologist. Many women think that this appointment is only about a breast exam and a pap smear, but, with the right physician, it can actually provide much greater benefits to your health.
Dr. Taryll Jenkins of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine has been providing quality health care to his patients for many years. He understands that a well woman visit provides a great opportunity to understand a woman's overall health care concerns and address any gynecology issues that may be beginning. Here, Dr. Jenkins reviews several basic things that women should know about their annual checkup.
- Planning is important. As you age, your body changes and so does your lifestyle. While you may have used this appointment to request a refill of birth control for many years, there may come a time when a pregnancy is in your near future. This checkup gives you the opportunity to talk with your doctor about changes in your life that could affect your health and family planning in the future.
- Voice your concerns and ask questions. Don't just answer the basic questions about your medical history and if you drink or smoke. Instead, use this time to ask your own questions and voice any concerns about your health that you may have. Perhaps you are feeling more tired than usual, or you're experiencing unexplained weight loss or gain. Talking to your doctor may help you determine if you need a follow up appointment with another physician.
- You may need a follow up appointment. In some cases, you will visit the doctor, go through your checkup and then come back a year later and repeat the process. In other cases, your physician may determine that he needs to see you again in a few weeks or a few months, or may schedule additional testing.
- A good relationship with your gynecologist is critical. Let's face it – women's health issues are often awkward to talk about. However, Dr. Jenkins assures his patients that they should feel completely comfortable talking with him. Not only has he probably already had the same conversation with many other women, he can't address your concern if he doesn't know about it. Dr. Jenkins and his team are committed to providing individualized, gentle, and respectful care to every patient.
To learn more about well-woman checkups, please call the Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine office today.
Back to General Gynecological Care Home Page
- Gynecology Procedure, Katy, TX - Katy, TX, patients want to know, "What gynecology procedures take place during an annual exam?"
- Gynecology Procedure Fulshear, TX - Understanding the gynecology procedure for detecting and removing precancerous cells from a cervix
- Gynecologist Katy TX - When to see your Gynecologist