As an adult woman, many gynecological patients have had the uncomfortable experience of a vaginal infection at some point in their life. While some women brush this discomfort off as simply a part of being a female, in some cases it can be a sign of a greater problem. Below, Dr. Taryll Jenkins of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine addresses some of the common symptoms, causes of vaginal infections, and explains when a patient should seek medical treatment.
The way a woman's body feels during a vaginal infection can vary greatly depending on the patient and the cause of the infection. Some of the most frequently reported symptoms include:
- Abnormal discharge, often accompanied by an unpleasant smell
- Burning when urinating
- Itching around the vagina
- Pain or discomfort during sex
In many cases of vaginal infection, these symptoms occur at the same time. For example, discharge throughout a woman's monthly cycle is normal; however, when the discharge comes with a strong smell or itching, it's a sign of a problem. Additionally, a woman may notice minor itching or dryness throughout the day but at night, or following intercourse, the itching may become much more intense.
Vaginal infections are usually attributed to yeast infections, bacteria, sexually transmitted diseases, or a virus. Because all of these infections have similar symptoms it can be hard for a patient to determine exactly what is causing her discomfort or pain. Furthermore, treatment for one type of infection typically does not work on another. Therefore, it is important that a woman schedule an appointment with her gynecologist for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Dr. Jenkins has been practicing gynecology and obstetrics in the Katy area for many years. With gentle care and deep respect, he helps his patients feel comfortable about asking questions and seeking treatment for any woman's health problem. Dr. Jenkins and his team understand that each patient must be treated as an individual and that there can be no one-size-fits-all approach to treatment. For more information, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jenkins call the Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine office today.
- Gynecology Clinic Near Me Katy - Should I visit a gynecology clinic near me in Katy for vaginal discharge?
- Vaginal Infection Symptoms Katy - Vaginal infection diagnosed after the careful evaluation of symptoms in our Katy office
- Sexual dysfunction, Katy - The importance of discussing sexual dysfunction with your Katy gynecologist
- Menstrual Irregularity, Katy - Treatment for menstrual irregularity in Katy
- Hormone Replacement, Katy - Using hormone replacement treatment during menopause in Katy
- Pelvic Pain in Women Katy - Pelvic pain treatment for Katy women
- Vaginal Cancer Treatments, Katy - What Katy women need to know about vaginal cancer treatments
- Vaginal Infection, Katy - When you should seek treatment for a vaginal infection in Katy
- Gynecological treatments in Katy TX - Abnormal bleeding: when to seek gynecological treatments in Katy, TX
- Gynecological Problems Katy - Women's health in Katy: Is pelvic pain a sign of gynecological problems?