Many adult women believe that pelvic pain in common and normal. Often associated with various stages of the menstrual cycle, women begin to anticipate or even expect twinges, heaviness, or even pain in their abdomen. Typically it can be treated with over the counter pain medication. However, in some cases, the pain becomes severe and chronic in nature, lasting throughout most of the woman’s cycle.
Dr. Taryll Jenkins of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine in Katy, TX has been treating women with pelvic pain for many years. He urges any woman who has been having frequent pelvic pain for several months to seek medical care from a trusted gynecologist.
The first step by your physician will be to determine the nature of the discomfort or pain so that the right treatment can be started. Chronic pelvic pain can be caused by many factors including gynecologic, urologic, gastrointestinal, or musculoskeletal. Some of the more common gynecological factors that can cause pelvic pain include:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease – caused by untreated sexually transmitted diseases.
- Endometriosis – a condition that occurs when the uterine lining expands outside the uterus.
- Fibroids - benign tumors in the uterus.
- Ovarian cysts
It’s important for patients to seek care for their pelvic pain instead of simply living with the discomfort. During your physical exam, Dr. Jenkins and his team will begin with a consultation where you can explain your symptoms and talk about your family history and lifestyle.
Next, blood work may be performed to determine if there is an infection in the body. Additional testing will include a urine sample and tests for sexually transmitted diseases or endometriosis. An ultrasound may also be used to determine if there are any masses in the uterus, fallopian tubes, or other areas of the pelvic region. Once the cause of the pain is determined, we can treat the cause and eliminate the symptoms, which will get you back to living a happy and active life.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with our caring and trusted team, call of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine today.
- Vaginal Infection Symptoms Katy - Vaginal infection diagnosed after the careful evaluation of symptoms in our Katy office
- Sexual dysfunction, Katy - The importance of discussing sexual dysfunction with your Katy gynecologist
- Menstrual Irregularity, Katy - Treatment for menstrual irregularity in Katy
- Hormone Replacement, Katy - Using hormone replacement treatment during menopause in Katy
- Pelvic Pain in Women Katy - Pelvic pain treatment for Katy women
- Vaginal Cancer Treatments, Katy - What Katy women need to know about vaginal cancer treatments
- Vaginal Infection, Katy - When you should seek treatment for a vaginal infection in Katy
- Gynecological treatments in Katy TX - Abnormal bleeding: when to seek gynecological treatments in Katy, TX
- Gynecological Problems Katy - Women's health in Katy: Is pelvic pain a sign of gynecological problems?