If you have been trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant, you are not alone. Infertility issues affect approximately one out of every ten American couples. As devastating as this situation may seem, it is rarely an insurmountable problem. For many infertile couples, medical treatment or simply time and patience can result in a successful pregnancy, and healthy baby.
At Dr. Jenkins and his caring staff at Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine, we offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for infertility issues. The first step in treating infertility is determining the cause. According to CDC (Centers for Disease Control), male and female infertility are equally prevalent, each accounting for about one third of reported cases. The remaining third may be attributed to infertility of both partners, or to unknown causes.
The most common causes of female infertility include:
- Fallopian tube damage – These tubes transport eggs to the uterus from the ovaries. If they are damaged, they can inhibit contact between the sperm and egg, preventing fertilization. Many factors can damage the fallopian tubes, including surgical scars, endometriosis, and infection.
- Hormonal causes – Ovulation occurs as a result of synchronized fluctuations in hormones, which cause the uterine lining to thicken and the egg to be released. If these hormonal changes don’t occur when they should, ovulation may not happen.
- Cervical causes – In rare instances, a cervical condition may prevent sperm from passing through the cervical canal.
- Uterine causes – Fibroids (typically benign growths in the uterus) are a common condition, which can sometimes prevent pregnancy. Other potential uterine problems include the presence of polyps or anatomical abnormalities.
- Sterilization – A small percentage of women who have chosen permanent sterilization as a birth control method have a change of heart. That is why Dr. Jenkins encourages his patients to think it over carefully, and consider potential life-changing events such as re-marriage or the loss of a child, before committing to a permanent sterilization procedure. If you have been sterilized, the procedure can be surgically reversed but, unfortunately, the success rate is low.
A variety of techniques may used to determine the cause, including blood testing, tissue biopsies, and laparoscopic investigation. Dr. Jenkins will test both the male and female for infertility unless it is known for certain which partner is infertile.
Don’t give up on your dream of a family in Cypress. Let Dr. Jenkins help. Just call
855-346-8610 and schedule a consultation today. Our office is conveniently located in Katy, TX.
Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine
Connect with Dr. Jenkins on . Linkedin
We offer general care, gynecology
, and obstetrics
services that span all stages of a woman's life.
Dr. Taryll L. Jenkins, MD
received his undergraduate degree from Louisiana State University and Doctorate of Medicine from Meharry Medical College School of Medicine, TN. He completed his residency training at the University of Texas and Hermann Hospital, TX and is Board-certified from the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, with years of research experience.
Dr. Adebola I. Falae, MD, FACOG
received her undergraduate degree from Duke University in Durham, NC, and medical degree from University of Rochester Medical School, NY. She completed her residency training at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, LA. Women’s healthcare is her primary concern.
Dr. Maria Torres, MD, FACOG
earned her Bachelor of Science degree from Baylor University, and her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, before completing residency training at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago, IL. She’s an expert in infertility evaluation and high-risk pregnancies.
Back to Family Planning Home Page
- Affordable Family Planning Houston - Affordable birth control: A part of family planning for our Houston area patients
- Infertility, Katy - Navigating infertility with your Katy physician
- Treatments for Infertility, Katy - Katy physician describes common treatments for infertility
- Planning for Parenthood Fulshear - Options to help you have your parenthood well planned out in Fulshear
- Contraception Katy - Forms of contraception - The issue with coitus interruptus
- Family Medical Plan Cypress - Plan your family in Cypress: Considerations from financial to medical
- Parent Planning Katy - Preparing for parenthood
- Family Planning Katy TX - Planning your family, one step at a time
- Causes of Infertility Fulshear - Helping Fulshear families grow: Understand the causes of male infertility
- Infertility Cypress - Helping Cypress women overcome infertility