For many women, having children is an important part of their plans for the future. You may have spent many years knowing that you want to be a mom someday, but not yet. Then something changes. You may have found the perfect person to raise a family with, achieved financial stability, or simply decided that you finally feel ready. Whatever the reason, it can be tempting to start trying immediately. However, going from vague future plans to pregnancy is a huge step. For your own sake, as well as the child's well being, it is advisable to take a little time to make a plan.
Some of the most obvious considerations include:
- Financial – The costs of parenthood are far greater than just another mouth to feed. Children quickly outgrow clothing, toys, and furniture, making these items a recurring expense. Medical and dental care can also become costly if you are not fully insured.
- Space – If your home is already crowded, just imagine it filled with baby clothes, furniture, and toys. Also, remember that your little one will be crawling, and then walking, very soon. Look around for potential hazards, and determine what needs to be done to childproof your home.
- Pets – Even small, well-behaved animals can pose a threat to a baby. Some animals become jealous of your time and attention. Additionally, they may not understand how fragile a baby is, and how to behave around him or her. Even if you don't expect a problem, it is advisable to have a “plan b” if you need to re-home a pet.
- Childcare – While there is no shortage of daycare facilities, you don't want to trust just anyone with your baby. Unless there will be a stay-at-home parent, or a trusted family member, it's important to do your homework. Researching the credentials and reputation of childcare providers can be time-consuming, but it is a worthwhile endeavor.
- Medical – Remember that protecting your child's health begins before he or she is ever born. Of course, prenatal care is vital, but medical considerations actually begin before pregnancy. Improving your own health and ceasing unhealthy habits is the first thing you can do to give your baby a good start in life. It is important to be aware of any conditions you have that could affect your pregnancy, and what steps you can take to minimize any risks.
If you are ready to plan your family, call 855-346-8610 and schedule an appointment with Dr. Taryll Jenkins today.
Back to Family Planning Home Page
- Affordable Family Planning Houston - Affordable birth control: A part of family planning for our Houston area patients
- Infertility, Katy - Navigating infertility with your Katy physician
- Treatments for Infertility, Katy - Katy physician describes common treatments for infertility
- Planning for Parenthood Fulshear - Options to help you have your parenthood well planned out in Fulshear
- Contraception Katy - Forms of contraception - The issue with coitus interruptus
- Family Medical Plan Cypress - Plan your family in Cypress: Considerations from financial to medical
- Parent Planning Katy - Preparing for parenthood
- Family Planning Katy TX - Planning your family, one step at a time
- Causes of Infertility Fulshear - Helping Fulshear families grow: Understand the causes of male infertility
- Infertility Cypress - Helping Cypress women overcome infertility