Every woman has an important decision to make when determining her ideals for family planning. In the stage of life where pregnancy is not ideal, contraception becomes an important factor to consider. To learn more about your ideal form of contraception in Katy
, schedule a consultation to discuss your needs and goals with Dr. Jenkins. In this article, we will discuss a method of birth control, which may pose several challenges to couples: coitus interruptus.
Coitus interruptus is the Latin term for interrupted sexual intercourse. Also referred to as the withdrawal method, or "pulling out,” this method, in very specific language, means that the penis is withdrawn and moved away from the vagina before ejaculation occurs. It is immediately easy to see the flaws in this method. In fact, studies have shown that as much as 22% of women using coitus interruptus as their primary form of birth control for a year experience unwanted pregnancy.
Seeing the downside to coitus interruptus, especially when compared to other forms of contraception in Katy
, why would anyone choose this primitive method of birth control? Initially, withdrawing seems very convenient. Being that there are no devices, product, or prescriptions involved, there is no wait time and no cost. In addition, containing no devices or medications, there is no risk of health complications using this method.
However beneficial the few advantages to withdrawal may seem, they cannot outweigh the potential risks. The potential for sexually transmitted disease, as well as pregnancy, is quite real. For years, there has been debate over the presence of sperm in pre-seminal fluid, the fluid that leaks from the penis well before ejaculation. Although results of studies are inconclusive, there are enough questions involved in whether one man's fluid may contain sperm, while another man's may not, to warrant better protection.
Further challenges arise from coitus interruptus as the sole responsibility for protection is placed on a man during arousal. Using the withdrawal method, the penis must be withdrawn and moved away from the vagina at the right time so that sperm does not come into contact with the genitals. In the moment, it is easy to make mistakes that could lead to sperm entering the vagina. In addition, having to be mindful of the body's responses will have an effect on the overall sexual experience for both parties.
Contraception is important to a woman's life, as this tiny detail can impact her sense of self-worth, as well as her ability to achieve personal goals. To determine your best form of contraception, Katy
OB/GYN Dr. Jenkins serves as your educated guide.
Back to Family Planning Home Page
- Affordable Family Planning Houston - Affordable birth control: A part of family planning for our Houston area patients
- Infertility, Katy - Navigating infertility with your Katy physician
- Treatments for Infertility, Katy - Katy physician describes common treatments for infertility
- Planning for Parenthood Fulshear - Options to help you have your parenthood well planned out in Fulshear
- Contraception Katy - Forms of contraception - The issue with coitus interruptus
- Family Medical Plan Cypress - Plan your family in Cypress: Considerations from financial to medical
- Parent Planning Katy - Preparing for parenthood
- Family Planning Katy TX - Planning your family, one step at a time
- Causes of Infertility Fulshear - Helping Fulshear families grow: Understand the causes of male infertility
- Infertility Cypress - Helping Cypress women overcome infertility