For some couples, starting or expanding a family can be simple. When they decide the time is right, they discontinue birth control and within months, they have a baby on the way. About nine out of ten couples successfully conceive within one year.
However, for others it can be a struggle. At Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine, we understand how stressful, upsetting, and frightening it can be when this happens to you. Fortunately, untreatable infertility is rare. You might need fertility treatment, or simply need a little more time. The first step is determining the cause of the problem.
Women often assume that if they can’t get pregnant, they are infertile. However, there is an equal chance that the cause can be traced to the man, or a combination of male and female issues. Factors affecting male infertility include:
- Abnormal production of sperm – This may be caused by repeated infections, genetic defects, undescended testicles or other factors.
- Difficulty delivering sperm – Potential causes include blockages, medical conditions, genetic factors, or certain sexual dysfunctions such as premature ejaculation.
- Overall health – Obesity, poor nutrition, and other health conditions affect fertility. Additionally, unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, or drug use can be a significant factor.
- Environmental factors – Overexposure to certain chemicals, such as pesticides, can affect sperm production. Regular exposure to extreme heat, such as hot tubs and spas, can increase the body’s core temperature, which can affect sperm count or inhibit sperm production.
- Cancer treatment – Chemotherapy and radiation are common cancer treatments, which can dramatically impact sperm production. The likelihood of this depends on the location of the cancer. The closer it is to the testicles, the greater the risk.
- Age – Although there is no age limit for male fertility, it tends to decrease after the age of 40.
If you have been unsuccessful conceiving, let Dr. Jenkins help. He will examine potential infertility factors in both partners and help you choose the best course of action. Call
855-346-8610 and schedule an appointment today. Our office is located in Katy, convenient to communities such as Fulshear.
Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine
Connect with Dr. Jenkins on . Linkedin
We offer general care, gynecology
, and obstetrics
services that span all stages of a woman's life.
Dr. Taryll L. Jenkins, MD
received his undergraduate degree from Louisiana State University and Doctorate of Medicine from Meharry Medical College School of Medicine, TN. He completed his residency training at the University of Texas and Hermann Hospital, TX and is Board-certified from the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, with years of research experience.
Dr. Adebola I. Falae, MD, FACOG
received her undergraduate degree from Duke University in Durham, NC, and medical degree from University of Rochester Medical School, NY. She completed her residency training at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, LA. Women’s healthcare is her primary concern.
Dr. Maria Torres, MD, FACOG
earned her Bachelor of Science degree from Baylor University, and her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, before completing residency training at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago, IL. She’s an expert in infertility evaluation and high-risk pregnancies.
Back to Family Planning Home Page
- Affordable Family Planning Houston - Affordable birth control: A part of family planning for our Houston area patients
- Infertility, Katy - Navigating infertility with your Katy physician
- Treatments for Infertility, Katy - Katy physician describes common treatments for infertility
- Planning for Parenthood Fulshear - Options to help you have your parenthood well planned out in Fulshear
- Contraception Katy - Forms of contraception - The issue with coitus interruptus
- Family Medical Plan Cypress - Plan your family in Cypress: Considerations from financial to medical
- Parent Planning Katy - Preparing for parenthood
- Family Planning Katy TX - Planning your family, one step at a time
- Causes of Infertility Fulshear - Helping Fulshear families grow: Understand the causes of male infertility
- Infertility Cypress - Helping Cypress women overcome infertility