Katy doctor explains common gynecological surgery procedures
If you have been told that you need a surgery for evaluation or treatment of a gynecological issue, you may feel apprehensive. Dr. Taryll Jenkins and Dr. Adebola Falae share this insight into common procedures performed at Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Medicine in Katy, TX, to put your mind at ease.
- Colposcopy – Special instrumentation is used to examine the vulva, vagina, and cervix, following an abnormal Pap smear result. The doctor is looking for unusual cells that may warrant further testing by a lab.
- Hysteroscopy – A hysteroscope, or slender lighted tool, inserted into the uterus provides images that help to evaluate uterine problems and adhesions, locate an IUD, or determine possible causes of multiple miscarriages.
- Pelvic laparoscopy – A small incision in the abdomen allows the surgeon to view organs more easily and take tissue samples. Removal of scar tissue and repair of uterus or ovaries can also be performed laparoscopically.
- Cervical cryosurgery – Many times precancerous cells in the cervix (cervical dysplasia) heal naturally. However, if they do not, this procedure destroys them with a precise freezing process.
- LEEP – The loop electrosurgical excision procedure cuts away abnormal cells from the surface of the cervix with an electrically-charged wire.
- D & C – Dilation and curettage involves removal of the uterine lining with a sharp curette or suction. It is a method of diagnosing polyps, precancerous endometrial hyperplasia, and uterine cancer. D & C is also used to remove placenta that remains in the uterus after delivery causing bleeding, molar pregnancy (when the placenta develops without a normal fetus), and fibroid tumors.
- Hysterectomy – Removal of all or part of the uterus, to address uterine fibroids, endometriosis, uterine prolapse, chronic pelvic pain, abnormal bleeding, or gynecological cancer.
The most important thing to remember about gynecological surgery procedures is that your health is in good hands with Dr. Jenkins and Dr. Falae. New patients are welcome, so call 855 346 8610 for an examination or second opinion appointment in Katy.