Prenatal care is an all-encompassing term for the care you receive from an obstetrician combined with healthy habits at home. Once your pregnancy is confirmed with an at-home pregnancy test, you should call your physician and begin to take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. Most physicians begin prenatal care around the mother’s eighth week of pregnancy. For the first part of the pregnancy the mother will visit the doctor approximately every four weeks where she will be weighed and measured to determine the baby’s growth and the doctor will listen for the baby’s heartbeat. When the pregnancy enters the third trimester the frequency of appointments will increase. Throughout the pregnancy the mother will undergo blood work, at least one ultrasound, and other testing to ensure the health of the mother and the baby.
Expectant mothers should also be sure to take care of themselves at home. In addition to taking a prenatal vitamin, the patient should maintain a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, calcium, protein, and healthy fats. There are some foods and habits that should be avoided, such as smoking, undercooked meats and fish. Patients should also exercise and maintain an active lifestyle during pregnancy, unless directed otherwise by their doctor. Most obstetricians indicate that expectant mothers can continue with pre-pregnancy exercise routines, with realistic modifications until it becomes uncomfortable. Finally, expectant mothers should try to rest as much as possible and avoid unnecessary stress.
Pregnancy is an exciting time and can be enjoyed by the entire family as you wait for a healthy baby. For more information about prenatal care in the Katy area, call the office of Jenkins Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine today.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Cypress - Finding right pre-natal obstetrics and gynecological care in Cypress, TX
- Obstetrics Expert Katy - Katy, TX, obstetrics expert explains need for proper prenatal care
- Obstetrics Treatment, Katy - The importance of prenatal obstetric treatment in Katy
- What is Obstetrics Fulshear - Healthy habits and obstetrics for a healthy pregnancy for Fulshear women
- What is Obstetrics Katy - Katy health questions: What is obstetrics?